Sunday, September 23, 2012

Post-Life Adventure

Last Thursday, we lost my Poppa Doc. It gives me a lot of comfort to know that during his last days, he was surrounded by his family who loved him and was still his same old self, teasing family members and making everyone laugh.

So far, this has been the hardest part of my semester abroad... not being able to comfort and be comforted (in person) by my family back home. While thinking about how he's now free of the pain and limitations of his tired, worn-out body
, I was reminded of a quote by J.M. Barrie from the book, Peter Pan, that I found touching:

"To die will be an awfully big adventure." 


After thinking more about it, the quote seemed surprisingly relevant to Poppa and my semester here, since it has been all about embracing the adventures that life throws our way. I'd only anticipated those I'd encounter in my travels, but I am now realizing that maybe a semester of "embracing adventure" goes deeper than simply hopping on a plane to Europe.

Not five minutes after this quote came to mind, I unexpectedly came across a photo of the kid who played Peter Pan in the movie (dressed in character). About an hour later, and without mentioning anything to her, my roommate Veronika told me that she was so excited to find one of her favorite books in the bookstore down the street: Peter Pan. Somehow it felt like a sign that Poppa was up there having quite the adventure.










I might be living an adventurous life here in Spain, but I know Poppa is now having a more joyful, pain-free adventure than I could ever imagine. Love you and miss you.





1 comment:

  1. Very well said, and your pictures are such a great trip down memory lane for my heart. love you, feel this hug from me from Texas
    lovelove

    ReplyDelete