Monday, September 3, 2012

Visit to Chi-town


june 18, 2012
For my 21st birthday, I asked for a plane ticket to Chicago. My friend Emily is interning there for the summer, and Josh was there for a conference with the American Medical Association, so it gave me a great excuse to tag along and visit a new city! The deep dish pizza and hot dogs were delish, and seeing several buildings that we’ve studied in my history of architecture/interior design classes was really cool. My two favs were Marina City and, of course, Frank Lloyd Wright’s Robie House.

Here’s where I crashed while I was there - Emily’s pretty studio apartment downtown!

A view of the exterior of her building - fun fact: it is the tallest building designed by a female architect!

Marina City, designed by Bertrand Goldberg in ‘64

While Emily was at work, I ventured around town with the med students. This is inside the glass box at the top of the Sears tower… You can’t tell from the picture, but the viewing deck juts out over the city on the 103rd floor and is entirely made of glass. And yes, I thought I was going to pass out.


Em and I finally made it to the Robie House! For you non-archies out there, this a famous house designed in the early 20th century by Frank Lloyd Wright (also known as the father of American Architecture). While all of his contemporaries were copying other cultures’ designs, FLW said, ” ‘MURICA!”, and came up with a new design language for American architecture.

 
Visiting the Chicago Art Institute. Name that painting! 


Deep dish pizza from Lou Malnati’s. I didn’t believe Em when she said I’d be full after one piece, but she was right…

I don’t care that this piece has a real name… I refuse to call it anything but “the bean”!

 
Annnddd this post wouldn’t be complete without a blurry phone pic of us hanging out downtown on Friday night. It’s missing Trey-Z (the 3rd med student there with Josh), but this is our group that hung out during the trip! 

No comments:

Post a Comment